Author Topic: Rewriting the Master Server  (Read 3915 times)

Newsbot

Rewriting the Master Server
« on: August 13, 2010, 06:56:17 PM »
View original post on sealhunter.se
As some of you might have noticed, the SH master server hasn't been quite as snappy as one would like it to be lately. The reason for this is actually a rather pleasant one - during peak times, there's a ridiculous amount of connections done per second to it! The downside is, of course, that my network library seems to choke on handling all the connection requests at once. This is bad - and it is also the likely cause of all those "master server unresponsive" messages some of you have been experiencing.

Since that is the case, I will be rewriting the master server communication code entirely in favour of using persistent connections instead of connection on-demand. This might take a while - a week or two, at worst, with lovely 13 hour school days coming back up - but it'll lay the foundation for several exciting new features that can be added in the future. (To name a few: friend notifications and messaging, possible NAT punchthrough, and dedicated servers!)

So all in all, while this might take a while, please bear with me. It'll increase the overall stability of the master server as well as open up for future development.

And boy, more than one thousand registered players, with almost 24,000 matches played, in which four and a half million enemies have been killed? I'm thoroughly impressed!