Author Topic: Area Denial  (Read 8173 times)

Newsbot

Area Denial
« on: April 18, 2009, 05:46:11 PM »
View original post on sealhunter.se
[/url]

[/url]Despite not being entirely finished up, I'd like to present two of the new weapons that are planned for Seal Hunter. Again, please do note that Seal Hunter is not finished by far and everything is still very prototype-y. What I'll be showcasing in this post might be changed or removed entirely in the future, so please be considerate. ;-)

Anyhow, I'll try to keep this short'n'sweet! To the right hand side, you can see the frag mines in action and this particular flavour being the proximity mine which explodes whenever a creature comes in contact with it. After planting the mine, there is a grace period before the mine will activate (this is to maintain a healthy game balance, as you might guess) and react to enemy contact.

There is also currently a second variant of the mine above currently dubbed "timed mines"; this will explode after a set time no matter what. This means that it can be used to more effectively cause splash damage to enemies without requiring a direct contact, but if mistimed you might end up doing no damage at all.

All of this is still very experimental, and further balancing coupled with the exact details on how the mines will operate will be worked out when the game is nearing completion - more importantly, while I might be able to balance it somewhat decently in singleplayer, Seal Hunter is meant to support up to four players.

Remember that you can further discuss this in a more educated fashion over at the Seal Hunter Forums. Until next time!

And a special thanks to Baneriukas for making the weapon sprites. Whoop whoop!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:59:52 PM by Toumaz »

Offline Oskar

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
  • Art of Sealhunting
Re: Area Denial
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »
Those mines seems like a sweet idea ;D Keep up the good work, A lot of new weapons means a lot more fun ;)
~ Art of Sealhunting ~

Kjempegøy!

Offline Wack3

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:33:42 PM »
I agree more weapons means more fun  :) your doing a great job  ;)

Offline NP

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 01:06:49 PM »
Those mines really look awesome~!
I think this new version of SH will be well worth the wait.

Offline Gifflo

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 07:27:48 PM »
Yes, definitely, the mine brings back strong memories from my younger years when "Worms" was the real shit, In case you haven't played this beautiful game ^^, here's a link for you all to enjoy the shape of this beautiful tool of destruction.

http://www.worms2.com/images/icons/good_weap_mine.gif

Does it seem familiar ;)?

~ Proud teammate of the NP ~
Hvooooor er Isbjørnen?

DA ER ISBJØRNEN!

Offline Luskan

• Beta Tester
  • Clubber
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 05:35:01 PM »
Yes, definitely, the mine brings back strong memories from my younger years when "Worms" was the real shit, In case you haven't played this beautiful game ^^, here's a link for you all to enjoy the shape of this beautiful tool of destruction.

http://www.worms2.com/images/icons/good_weap_mine.gif

Does it seem familiar ;)?

Yea, I can't understand why the creators of Worms 2 would copy our mine  ::)
~ Art of Sealhunting ~
- sælerne spiser alle vannsprattlerne
1 Player: 193'868 (completed)
2 Player: 396'163 (completed)

Offline Toumaz

• Game Developer
  • Administrator
  • Anti-Activist
    • Seal Hunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 06:08:41 PM »
'least they don't use the bounce sound from Worms. ;|

Offline Gifflo

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 03:33:07 PM »
You should (Since they stole our mine) steal the worms sound of the mine :), would be really cool, I love the sound of it.
~ Proud teammate of the NP ~
Hvooooor er Isbjørnen?

DA ER ISBJØRNEN!

Offline aXidal

• Beta Tester
  • Outdoorsman
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 04:21:53 PM »
really nice :D

Offline Elite Spring Wire

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 10:02:20 AM »
Hey. You know in the origanal version you pressed the buy button and it bought the most expensive thing that you could afford? Could you create like a choosing system instead because I always save up and EG I buy like grenades instead of machine gun. Progress is looking good! Keep it up and never give up!!!
Headache:100bc Take this herb.1100 That herb is hearthen, say this prayer.1600 That prayer is fake, take this potion.1800 That potion is snake oil, take this pill.1900That pill is inafective, take this antibiotic.Today That antibiotic is artifitial... take this herb.

Offline P the Great

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 12:37:51 PM »
Hey. You know in the origanal version you pressed the buy button and it bought the most expensive thing that you could afford? Could you create like a choosing system instead because I always save up and EG I buy like grenades instead of machine gun. Progress is looking good! Keep it up and never give up!!!

Actually you are able to choose specific weapons to buy, both in this game and the original one  ;), but I think there also will be a kind of "fast-buy" in this game.

PS Keep up the good work Toumaz :P
I love the smell of squashed seal cubs in the morning...

Offline Toumaz

• Game Developer
  • Administrator
  • Anti-Activist
    • Seal Hunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 12:49:39 PM »
P the Great is correct; you can either manually specify what weapon to buy, or simply autobuy the most expensive weapon you can afford. Just like in the original game - keep the buy button pressed down, then move left and right!