Author Topic: Priorities  (Read 13021 times)

Newsbot

Priorities
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
View original post on sealhunter.se
After releasing 1.0.1, and with 1.0.2 probably a week or two away still, I'm already making plans for the first 'big' update to SH.

Thing is, I'm not entirely certain what that will end up being, so I'm going to let you guys help me decide.

Dedicated Servers

Would be released as both a Windows and Linux binary, hopefully. This would help combat self-hosted games behind a router without forwarded ports. Could also allow for such things as scripted gamemodes later down the line. Would take a medium amount of time

Linux Client

Simple enough - a Linux build of the game client. I've attempted this earlier, but it was a wee bit too hard for me on the outset. As such, doing the dedicated server first might prove useful in giving experience. This wouldn't require all too major changes to the codebase itself.

Mac Client

And for those of you who have been asking, I'd love to do a Mac client, but here's the problem: I've no Mac to compile and test it on! Otherwise, the time investment should be about as much as for a Linux client.

Friends System

Having a friends list, possibly with a messaging system. Friends list itself isn't that hard and would only take a moderate time to implement, but messaging system would require pretty much a complete rewrite of most of the client<->master communication code and drastically increase bandwidth requirements, which I'm not all too keen on.

NAT Punchthrough

Since you're probably going "what?" - NAT punchthrough would attempt to open a connection to a server behind a router without the need for port forwarding. Would not work with all router configurations, however, but the definite majority. Again, possible complete rewrite of server<->master communication code.

New Weapons

Ak-74:s! The Burning Seal! Ruger 77! This could take anywhere from a moderate time to very long to implement depending on how complex the weapons are.

Post your opinions either as comments here or in the News section in the forums for more in-depth discussion!

Offline indie

• Outdoorsman
  • The First
Re: Priorities
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:09:08 PM »
GIVE us AK47 and FLAMETHROWER!!!  8)
p.s. Dedicated Servers are also cool idea.
Murrrrrr

Offline bryce

• Clubber
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 03:42:13 AM »
I would disuade you from a messaging system, 1. It is hard for you to do, 2. It's going to make the game lag more (right?).
Also, we all know the Ak is awesome, but it seems stupid having an MP5, M16, Minigun, AND Ak-47, it's a bit redundant. I'd rather have an option to change the skin on the M16 to an Ak skin. Makes a bit more sense. Maybe it could be unlocked at lvl 25. And since I reccomened the flamethrower, I must say, top notch idea haha.

Offline indie

• Outdoorsman
  • The First
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 09:41:54 AM »
in all games ak's accuracy is worse than let's say m-4 or m-16.
advantage of the ak can be big magazine for example 45 bullets or even cooler if it will be hand-held machine gun sich as RPK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPK#RPK-74

also the firing speed can do the balanse in the ak. it can be slow
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 09:44:38 AM by indie »
Murrrrrr

Offline bryce

• Clubber
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 04:53:28 PM »
I realize that the Kalashnikov is different from the M16 but I'm saying adding another machine gun would be far too repetitve. Not to mention one of the key traits of Seal Hunter is that all the weapons are fairly different and there are different strategies to using them

Offline James

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:39:41 PM »
I agree with bryce's idea about the flamethrower if it has a range of a shotgun or less, and the farther out the flame is the less damage it does. 

About the Ak-47, it would have to be significantley different than the M16 for seal hunter to be flouded with superflous machine guns.  If you do
add the Ak, I'd suggest that you make it less accurate than the M16, same bullet penetration, but a larger magazine and(or) more damage per
bullet to make one decide between M16 and Ak.

As for the Ruger 77, how would it be any different than the AWP?  It's a good thought of people and choice of snipers, but how drastic can you
change it.  You could though make the bolt action feature go faster than the AWP, but make it do less damage, or make it not have as much
bullet penetration and sell it for cheaper than the AWP.

Offline bryce

• Clubber
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 01:46:32 AM »
Another Sniper would be far too redundant anyway

Offline James

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 04:40:22 AM »
But the friend system would be very nifty!  The message system maybe if you get the dedicated servers for not as much lag.

Also a higher Level gap would be awesome as more weapons come out, becuase it only took me 2 days to get my 25 ^^

Offline bryce

• Clubber
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 04:25:50 PM »
It also takes you one day to get to lv. 50 in Maplestory James, you are too good at leveling haha

Offline James

• Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 09:41:07 PM »
na that took me like a week bryce haha. anyways with maples new updates like mu lung u can level to 70 in no time

Offline bryce

• Clubber
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 10:37:10 PM »
Oh yeah haha

Offline Asornamate

• Clubber
    • Tutorials.co.il
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 02:42:04 PM »
First of all WHY THE HELL are you guys plaing MAPLE STORY?!

those guns are awesome, ak should be nice (I dont know about another smg? maybe...)
another sniper? maybe with smaller magazine and stronger, or bigger magazine and wicker...
a falmethrower! did you read my idea too in the flamethrower suggest topic? about the range? if you did I AM AWESOME! or just feel like it...

waiting...

Offline bryce

• Clubber
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »
Yes I believe I disagreed with your idea, and Maplestory is MLG so idk what your talking about (it's mainly because last summer we got really bored haha) Not to mention if you use the Carl Gustav correctly (which I have recently been doing and it is crazy beast) it acts simlarily to a faster shooting / less damage dealing sniper rifle.

Instead of the Ruger 77 you could direct your attention here or a weapon that would have a similar feel (but with a lot more awesomeness) --> http://forums.sealhunter.se/index.php?topic=393.0

Offline indie

• Outdoorsman
  • The First
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 09:56:06 PM »
maybe the player will choose: if he takes AK, m-4 won't be available and vice versa
the same can be used with sniper rifle.
or to make host could choose limit of weapons/stuff
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:58:14 PM by indie »
Murrrrrr

Offline bryce

• Clubber
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »
Haha that wouldn't really make sense anyway considering that one would use the better choice of gun, so if lets say M16 helps him earn an Ak, I say let him.