Author Topic: Let's talk about activists!  (Read 11525 times)

Offline rashban

• Original Developer
  • Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
Let's talk about activists!
« on: April 26, 2009, 11:33:11 PM »
Since Toumaz wanted each idea or concept to have it's own thread, I took the liberty of collecting a bunch of activist-related ideas into this thread. Activists have, as we know from the original game:
-Fastest base speed of all "weak" enemies
-Greatest tendency to move in Y-direction of ANY enemy
-Highest HP of all the standard "weak" enemies
-Two distinct weak spots: the head of the activist itself, and his Achilles heal - the head of the seal pup
In fact, the activist himself is just a transport for the real danger (the pup)

This of course makes them fairly formidable, especially compared to the basic brown seals and they contribute to a lot of losses. The fact that they are human also makes it possible to come up with lots of ideas on how else they could act, so without further babbling on my part, let's gather it here:

Idea #1 (Luskan/Axidial/NP/etc) -  A mammoth/a ship/orange inflatable boats that spawns activists:
The idea being, a vessel of some sort that releases a horde of activists at once. A real threat, since it takes alot of fire to bring down activists in great numbers, and they tend to spread out. Of these, the one that seems to make most sense is the orange boats:
-It is closest to how greenpeace operate in reality
-It's easiest to draw
-It opens for a lots of different skill-based attacks (i.e, you could be able to chuck grenades into the boat if you hit it perfectly, and doing so would of course gib everything inside, you could be able to shoot the activists in the head (one by one!) while in the boat, so that you don't have that many to deal with once the boat releases the rest etc. etc.)

Idea #2 (funkyhunter) - Activists on snowmobiles
This, I assume, would be a "upgrade" to the activists, i.e. starting on level X, every Y activist arrives on a snowmobile that travels at a  higher speed than ordinary activists. You could of course destroy the snowmobile by shooting it, forcing the activist to run instead, or you could hit the activist with a nice headshot (but doing so would keep the snowmobile running with the seal pup still alive!). This could be a nice boost to the activists on higher levels (i.e. on the current level 5), where they aren't that big a threat.

This idea is pretty close in concept to the activists themselves: the snowmobiles are just a carrying vessel for the activists, which in turn just carry the seal pup, which is the real threat. It would indeed be pretty neat if the seal pups kept upgrading their transportation device over the course of the levels :)

Idea #3 (funkyhunter) - Berserking activists
When you shoot the seal pup from the activist, instead of just screaming and running with the seal head, some of them would whip out a baseball bat and charge at one of the eskimoes. On making contact, I'd assume that he would hit the eskimo over the head, stunning him for X time, and then run off. It could of course be cool if he'd continue to hit until something stops him (i.e. another eskimo killing him), but that would make it pretty much instant death in single player.
The biggest problem with this is probably that the event that triggers it all (just killing the pup) is pretty rare, but other than that it could be pretty cool.

I know you are probably sick of my "back in pre-release-version X"-stories, but we did have a busload (literally!) of activists as the boss on level 4 for a while, and dropped it mostly due to the fact that we disliked mechanical devices (it isn't as much fun to blow up a bus as it is to gib something made of flesh and blood, or at least that was our opinion).
Hilsen fra Øslo

Offline funkyhunter

• Newcomer
Re: Let's talk about activists!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 11:39:54 PM »
maybe for the berserker the rare event of the seal dieing and him not is good. the berserk is rare and random than! but what if they had a 50 50 chance of going back for another seal and carrying the injured seals.
the sack doesn't like seals...

Offline Oskar

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
  • Art of Sealhunting
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 05:23:57 PM »
I really like the idea of the berserking activists.. I think it would give the game some more action if some of the activists were armed with a pistol or something.. :)
~ Art of Sealhunting ~

Kjempegøy!

Offline aXidal

• Beta Tester
  • Outdoorsman
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:37:37 PM »
Nice ideas :) Btw can't you realese all old versions (A)

btw2 you spelled my name wrong ;) xD

Offline Luskan

• Beta Tester
  • Clubber
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 11:55:10 PM »
Good initiative Rashban.

My main idea behind the horde of activist was to improve the actual teamwork in the game(especially in 4 player mode).
But it wouldn't really make sense if they came in boats? Isn't the seals trying to pass the eskimoes for the sea?
~ Art of Sealhunting ~
- sælerne spiser alle vannsprattlerne
1 Player: 193'868 (completed)
2 Player: 396'163 (completed)

Offline Caphriel

• Seal Snatcher
  • Sealing Crew
  • Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 01:06:00 AM »
I've been wondering whether or not to bring that up.  The playing field is, to all appearances, the top of a glacier/ice floe/other large sheet of ice.  A giant ship or orange lifeboats don't make much sense moving across the ice.

Would militant activists (with riot shields and rubber-bullet guns) make any sense?  Would they be better as a late-game normal enemy?

I don't have time for this!

Offline cubrman

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 12:41:51 AM »
The game definitely needs more enemies, but there is only one Toumaz in the world...
The Seal Hunter, as well as Seal hunter are rare examples of games made with love. I honestly respect the authors of these games and cannot even express how grateful I am to you for these masterpieces.

Thank you!

Offline Patar976

• Outdoorsman
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 07:20:47 AM »
i agree that the activists should have a bigger part. i especially like the snowmobiles and bersek ideas. there is just one problem with this idea in general, with all the focus on activists we may loose sight of the true idea of the game: massaquering seals!!!
If at first you don't succeed... you fail.

Offline Michael1

• Clubber
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:14:18 PM »
kamikaze activist- actist run to you and if he touch you and he will explode. An explode will have same effect like if you get hit by a polar bear. When you kill him he explode to and if you are close you will get stunned a short time. If you kill him close to seals or other enemys hes explode will damage the. He runs faster the normal activist.
%) crazy smile

Offline Kalze

• Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »
Kamikaze activists sound good but if they stun in 1p, its kinda Game over..

^^ Couldnt find better signature, forgive me :)

Offline Michael1

• Clubber
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
well, if you get one seal pass it game over. So well... dont let it happened!
%) crazy smile

Offline Kalze

• Newcomer
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 09:40:24 PM »
Dude, if you are stunned in lvl 3+, its 99.9% game over, because penguins.

Offline Michael1

• Clubber
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 09:43:33 PM »
when you get hit by a polar bear you are dead.
%) crazy smile

Offline Kalze

• Newcomer
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »
Not if you are in multiplayer, the others can still kill it.
But in 1play, you are doomed if pb touches u.

Offline Michael1

• Clubber
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 09:49:30 PM »
well kill him before he stun you, an extra challenge.
%) crazy smile