Author Topic: Odd awesome weapons  (Read 13561 times)

Offline NP

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
Odd awesome weapons
« on: April 17, 2009, 05:36:59 PM »
I have some different ideas for new weapons. The one I've been thinking about for the longest time is the flamethrower. The idea is that you can buy a flamethrower and that your playing buddy buys some cans of gasolines. I think that it will be some nice action with these in the arsenal.
Another idea me and my friend (Gifflo) have considered is some C4. I think that would be great on the Polar Bears. You could plant some C4 when they show up and then blow them up as late as possible when it's a big "danger", just for fun.
And the final weapon, a harpoon with a grenade at the tip of the harpoon "arrow" (have no idea what it's called) just like good old Rambo used to have.

Thanks for reading this post and please come with comments and more ideas for cool weapons.

NP

Offline Gifflo

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Odd awesome weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 05:40:47 PM »
Couldn't agree more. Simply genious. Still, the idea of a flamethrower and a Bow with Grenades as tips for the arrows, requires alot of seals. Tons of them. Literarilly. Since they will pwn so much.
But the ideas are awesome! Keep em flowing!
~ Proud teammate of the NP ~
Hvooooor er Isbjørnen?

DA ER ISBJØRNEN!

Offline Luskan

• Beta Tester
  • Clubber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 06:55:52 PM »
I really like the idea with the flamethrower!
Opens space for flawless teamwork  8)
~ Art of Sealhunting ~
- sælerne spiser alle vannsprattlerne
1 Player: 193'868 (completed)
2 Player: 396'163 (completed)

Offline Toumaz

• Game Developer
  • Administrator
  • Anti-Activist
    • View Profile
    • Seal Hunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 10:50:39 PM »
Suggesting C4 is indeed a very good idea, but as of now nothing with an alternative fire function would be added. There will however be a very similar weapon to that - and one that I in fact only just recently added to the game. Expect a possible blog post about it soon! ;)

Sharing an inventory with several players is something that I sadly don't think will be done any time soon, nor is limiting the amount of ammo a player can carry - it'd simply require too many changes to the game engine as it is right now. Not to mention the extra art assets a flamethrower would need; e.g. burning seals. I'm a terrible graphics artist! I really like the teamwork aspect you managed to get through though. Keep 'em coming!

Offline callans

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 11:42:50 AM »
Something I always missed in Sealhunter is melee weapons. I mean dont get me wrong tearing down armies of seals with your endless (almost) spray from your big ass minigun is well hilarious, but think about this:

Level 1 has just begun the seals are grouping up in a futile atempt to get by your pistol/revolver/MP5/grenades/shotgun fire... is realldy just sad all of it but all of a sudden you press your enter button... and you start running right at the siege and all of a sudden BAM! baseballbat to the sealface. I think you get my point. I believe it would be awesome, which true sealhunter fan has never wanted to go at that injured crawler with a bat or crowbar Half-Life style.

Another one just plain wierd acutally is a medieval Lance (any medievel weapon would be cool actually) a lance which can penetrate ~5 seals then you have to "reload" and clean it of before charging any new ones.

What do you guys think?
[The Sealcub Clubbing Club]

Offline rashban

• Original Developer
  • Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 04:11:22 PM »
In one of our pre-release versions of The Seal Hunter we included 3 melee weapons: the default was a club, and you could buy a cleaver (which instagibbed seals and could kill several in one swing if they were close enough), and anyone who's killed the walrus knows what the last one was :)

In the end, they didn't play quite as well as we had hoped, and when we considered the amount of work needed to make them look good graphically, we didn't consider them good enough for the 1.0 release.

To be fair and funny, I would say that a melee weapons (for instance a a baseball bat), should involve several swing animations (swings from left, right, top, bottom, while standing still, moving forward at speed, moving backwards etc.) and preferably decent hit-animations and death-animations from the animals (i.e. if you hit a tiny seal pup with a massive uppercut, it had better be flying away, right?). They would also have some sort of skill element with cash reward, like headshots and grenade proximity bonuses. And, they should of course be balanced compared to their price.

But I agree on a more conceptual level, melee weapons would indeed be awesome if implemented correctly
Hilsen fra Øslo

Offline Toumaz

• Game Developer
  • Administrator
  • Anti-Activist
    • View Profile
    • Seal Hunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 05:05:20 PM »
Indeed, the idea of melee weapons has come across my mind, too. For what it's worth, I have already planned adding at least one melee weapon to my own version. Reading Rashban's post however makes it awfully clear that while I might be a decent programmer, I'm a terrible game designer. ;) Nevertheless, I intend to give it a shot.

Offline Luskan

• Beta Tester
  • Clubber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 05:16:43 PM »
Sound really exciting with melee weapons  8)
But as you said, a lot of work.

Keep up the good work!
Looking forward for a BETA-version!
~ Art of Sealhunting ~

Offline Gifflo

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 09:37:48 PM »
Definitely, saw the update on www.sealhunter.com a few hours ago ;), seems like a step on the road leading to epic sealkilling and final judgement for the ultimate bosses. (Basically, I just want to kill seals and let the eskimos prevail, but it sounds alot better when you say it like that!)
And regarding the beta, I'm looking mucho grande forward to it ;).

And uhm.. Not to go 100 % off topic.. Melee weapons seems like a cool idea, but I can imagine that it's hard to get them in balance with all the other weapons. They'll probably need some really heavy AoE.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:40:04 PM by Gifflo »
Hvooooor er Isbjørnen?

DA ER ISBJØRNEN!

Offline Karlit0

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 10:21:49 PM »
yeah melle weapons in the game it's very cool, i trust that i will see something like that -

Offline Luskan

• Beta Tester
  • Clubber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 10:23:48 PM »
And uhm.. Not to go 100 % off topic.. Melee weapons seems like a cool idea, but I can imagine that it's hard to get them in balance with all the other weapons. They'll probably need some really heavy AoE.

Yea or just make it very cheap or even the very first weapon you get :)
It would be cool if it had a slowing effect on bigger creatures  8)
~ Art of Sealhunting ~

Offline Oskar

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
  • Art of Sealhunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 10:31:48 PM »
melee weapons would be sweet :P
~ Art of Sealhunting ~

Kjempegøy!

Offline Gifflo

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 10:24:30 PM »
Yea or just make it very cheap or even the very first weapon you get :)
It would be cool if it had a slowing effect on bigger creatures  8)

Nice ideas there ;)! I'm getting more and more thrilled for the release of this game each day!
Hvooooor er Isbjørnen?

DA ER ISBJØRNEN!

Offline Oskar

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
  • Art of Sealhunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 04:31:13 PM »
I agree :P cant wait till the beta gets released... even though its probably a long time from now
~ Art of Sealhunting ~

Kjempegøy!

Offline aXidal

• Beta Tester
  • Outdoorsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 03:09:53 PM »
I have some different ideas for new weapons. The one I've been thinking about for the longest time is the flamethrower.

I think it's pretty obvious that it will appear in the burning seal expansion ;)

Btw i have been thinking of some weapons :)

Rocket launcher (maybe also a heatseeking variant)

Taser

Crossbow ^^

a weapon with really massive recoil but very low/no damage

Fists :)