Author Topic: Statistical Laziness  (Read 5133 times)

Newsbot

Statistical Laziness
« on: May 29, 2009, 06:57:51 PM »
View original post on sealhunter.se
Not much has been going on lately - high school finals and graduation and whatnot has stolen most of my time away and after about two years worth on working on this codebase I reached the point earlier this month when I felt way to fed up with it working with it. Not to worry though, I still fully intend to try and get a beta going during this summer, but it's sadly looking more and more unlikely that it'll be out before July as time goes on.

A big coding bottleneck that's currently bringing my motivation down is the addition of unlockable ranks and statistics tracking - which gives me a reason to smoothly transition on to the second purpose of this post. What kind of statistics would you like to see tracked? I've all the obvious ones planned in, such as the most popular weapons (down to seeing exactly when and where a weapon is purchased the most), top scoring matches, match details, and quite a bit more.

Designing a database to hold all this isn't the easiest task there is, and even though refactoring it will probably be inevitable at one point or another I'd like to ask you readers for any especially obscure statistics you'd like to see tracked so that they can be implemented on the database level straight away. Can be pretty much anything, so hit me with your ideas and I'll see if they're worth to consider for implementation. You can of course just post 'em in the comments of this blog post, but remember that the forums are still lurking about, just waiting for your nimble fingers to type out topics in. Looking forward to 'em.

Offline callans

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
Re: Statistical Laziness
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 12:58:47 PM »
Something totally useless to track like the Turbo Meters on the Saab cars but still totally awesome to have would be a Gibb tracker, how many enemies do you gib and what kind do you gib the most and so on.

And ofcourse kill shots are important to track, which player kills the most of each enemie and how do they die? Do they kill the pup first and then the activist or does the activist get decapitated and then the pup dies?
Another sweet thing about the activist would be a killtimetracker how long does it take starting from the activist/pup dying until the pup/activist dies?

Maybe a fail tracker aswell where on the screen did the passing monstrousity run out on and which player was supposed to cover that particular area?

Just some ideas hope you like em
[The Sealcub Clubbing Club]

Offline Caphriel

• Seal Snatcher
  • Sealing Crew
  • Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 06:25:57 PM »
Maybe a fail tracker aswell where on the screen did the passing monstrousity run out on and which player was supposed to cover that particular area?
How can the game tell who was supposed to be covering a particular area?  Players are not restricted to segments of the playing field.  If any player is supposed to be covering a particular area, that would be by agreement among the players; the game can't detect that.

I don't have time for this!

Offline callans

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 08:31:17 PM »
Well the game can dectect which player spawns in which area... and If the players do not switch areas during gameplay that could make it trackable =)
[The Sealcub Clubbing Club]

Offline Gifflo

• Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 10:35:09 AM »
Well, tracking which player failed is almost impossible, but since most players play the default setup in multiplayer mode, tracking in what area the seals reach the right side of the screen would be appreciated. A headshot count would be quite cool too. A percentage-rate of HS's.
~ Proud teammate of the NP ~
Hvooooor er Isbjørnen?

DA ER ISBJØRNEN!

Offline rashban

• Original Developer
  • Beta Tester
  • Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 04:45:51 PM »
It would be pretty cool to plot death causes vs. Y-coordinates, just to see if people tend to lose due to enemies slipping past them in the middle, or on the edges, or if it's fairly equally distributed. Also, plotting deaths vs. progress in the game (in a more detailed fashion than The Seal Hunter does (just tracking average progress)) could point out when you tend to die.

A detailed summary of how many of each enemies were killed by each player, and how much money each player earned from different sources would be pretty cool after each game, as well. Add total damage dealt over time as well, so you could see "aahhhh... when I buy grenade launcher on level 2 it increases my DPS by 238%, but if I buy it on level 4 when I have  dual mac-10s, it only increases DPS by 40%... maybe I should reconsider my tactics".

:)
Hilsen fra Øslo